How long does a mutual exchange take to go through?

This does not mean that you will be able to move within 42 days; most exchanges take between eight to ten weeks to complete. To avoid any delays, make sure your rent account is debt-free. If you have any concerns, please contact us for advice. Make a note of any outstanding repairs that are required in your home.

How does a mutual house exchange work?

A mutual exchange allows you to swap your home with another council or housing association tenant anywhere in the UK. As a council tenant you have the legal right to swap your home providing that we agree to the exchange.

How long after a mutual exchange can you move again?

It depends on your exchange, how many parties are involved and whether you are moving long distance or moving within the local area. It can take up to 42 days from the day all parties involved hand in their mutual exchange forms, to their landlords agreeing the exchange and giving them permission to move.

Can I exchange and complete on the same day?

Can I exchange and complete on the same day? It is certainly possible to exchange and complete on the same day, although it does make the transaction more stressful as a lot has to be organised with no guarantee that the sale/purchase will go ahead.

Can you exchange house with rent arrears?

Quick Answer: Yes. If you have rent arrears, these must be cleared as a condition before you can exchange homes. If you have been served a Notice Seeking Possession. If you have not kept to the terms of your Tenancy Agreement.

Do you have to pay for HomeSwapper?

This service is free of charge. Tenants also advertise for mutual exchanges in shop windows or by word of mouth. If you would like to look for an exchange either in Newham or another borough you can sign up at HomeSwapper.

Why does the council want to inspect my house?

Property inspections During the visits officers will ask to enter the property so that they can see whether the people living there match the people registered as council tenants.