How do I send an email to Birmingham City council?

Benefits team

  1. Benefit Service. Birmingham City Council. PO Box 8267. Birmingham. B4 7XF.
  2. Telephone: 0121 464 7000.
  3. Email: [email protected].

How do I contact Birmingham City council?

If you have enquiries about your Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Housing or other matters then please contact the council contact centre on 0121 216 3030.

How long does planning application take Birmingham?

How long will my application take? We will deal with your application as quickly as possible. Our target is to deal with the majority of our applications within 8 weeks.

Can I sue Birmingham City council?

If you’ve been a victim of your council’s negligence and lack of care, you could be eligible to make a claim with us. There are various types of injuries that can happen because of negligence from your local council. …

How do I contact Birmingham Home Choice?

Please contact us on 0121 303 7410 if you believe that you need this service….You can request a review by:

  1. Completing an online review form here.
  2. Emailing [email protected].
  3. Writing to Housing Options Review Team, PO Box 15782, Birmingham, B2 2RG.

How do I contact Birmingham house?

Contact details

  1. Birmingham City Council – Housing Department.
  2. Public phone: 0121 303 7410.
  3. Email:
  4. Website URL:
  5. Service offered: Advice for homeless people and the general public provided by Neighbourhood Offices.

How do I contact Birmingham social services?

Telephone: 0121 303 1234.

How long does it take for planning permission to be approved?

around eight weeks
The majority of applications for planning permission will usually take around eight weeks. This is typically the case, unless the proposed project is unusually complex or large – when this is the case, the timeframe for a decision to be made is 13 weeks.

Does extension need planning permission?

Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres. Anything more than three metres and you would require planning permission for the extension. The maximum eaves and ridge height of your extension must be no higher than the existing house.

How do I make a claim against Birmingham City Council?

concerned. In cases where you are not sure who to write to, or if you need any advice or guidance on how to make a claim, please email our insurance office or telephone us on 0121 464 3002.

How do I make a complaint to Birmingham City Council?

Birmingham City Council complaints contacts

  1. Visit Contact Page.
  2. Email Customer Services on [email protected].
  3. Call General enquiries on 0121 303 1111.
  4. Visit Homepage.
  5. Call Waste issues on 0121 303 1112.

Where can I find out more about planning and regeneration in Birmingham?

Planning and Regeneration General Enquiries: [email protected] Local Land Charges: [email protected] Population and Census Information: [email protected]

Where can I find information about the Birmingham Plan?

Population and Census Information: [email protected] Enquiries about the Birmingham Plan: [email protected] Enquiries about Building Regulations: [email protected]

When do local authorities have to approve and publish their accounts?

However, the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government has extended the statutory deadlines for local authorities to approve and publish their accounts for the 2020/21 and 2021/22 financial years. The revised deadlines applicable to local authorities are as follows: Approve Draft Accounts 31 July (previously 31 May).