How do I know if my disc is bulging?
- Arm or leg pain. If your herniated disk is in your lower back, you’ll typically feel the most pain in your buttocks, thigh and calf.
- Numbness or tingling. People who have a herniated disk often have radiating numbness or tingling in the body part served by the affected nerves.
How do you fix a bulging disc?
Nonsurgical treatment may include:
- Rest. One to 2 days of bed rest will usually help relieve back and leg pain.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs). Medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can help relieve pain.
- Physical therapy.
- Epidural steroid injection.
Can a bulging disc heal itself?
Usually a herniated disc will heal on its own over time. Be patient, and keep following your treatment plan. If your symptoms don’t get better in a few months, you may want to talk to your doctor about surgery.
How long does it take to recover from a bulging disk?
The average amount of time it takes for a herniated disk to heal is four to six weeks, but it can get better within a few days depending on how severe the herniation was and where it occurred. The biggest factor in healing a herniated disk is time, because most often it will resolve on its own.
What does a bulging disk feel like?
The disc usually bulges toward one side of the canal (either right or left), which is why people with a bulging disc are likely to have pain and tingling on just one side of the body. A bulging disc in your neck may be relatively painless.
How to diagnose a bulging disc?
A physical exam for diagnosing disc pain may include one or more of the following tests: Palpation. Palpating (feeling by hand) certain structures can help identify the pain source. For example, worsened pain when pressure is applied to the spine may indicate sensitivity caused by a damaged disc.
How long does a bulging disc take to heal?
For some individuals it may take up to a year or two to completely recover from disc bulge while it may take far less time for another individual to recover from the same injury. This article gives a brief overview of how long does it take to heal from bulging disc and what are the factors that play a key role in the recovery process.
How to heal a bulging disc naturally?
Rest. Like all injuries,bulging discs require significant amounts of rest in order for your body’s cells to do their repair work.